News / Intra-Asian supply chains feel Tianjin effect as air freight demand rises

first_img Intra-Asian supply chains are beginning to face disruption, with companies turning to air freight, following last week’s blasts at the port of Tianjin.Air charters in the region are seeing a rise in demand.“Factories in other cities which require parts from Tianjin factories are being affected,” a local source told The Loadstar. “Supply chains are beginning to get disrupted, and we are seeing demand for auto parts shipments, in particular to Japan.”He said that he expected the demand to last for a while, although there was already considerable air freight capacity on major routes. Tomchen1989 By Alex Lennane in London and Sam Whelan in Ho Chi Minh City 17/08/2015center_img Similarly, one feeder line representative told The Loadstar: “Some of outside depots were badly destroyed by this explosion – especially two big depots named Jinshi and Malun. A lot of carriers who cooperate with them are also suffering badly, such as Maersk, Wan Hai and Evergreen, but the specific loss need time to be confirmed, as mentioned, those areas are still prohibited to entry.”Toyota, which had 50 staff injured, said that its three Tianjin production lines would be closed between August 17 and 19.Mark Fulthorpe, director, IHS Automotive light-vehicle production forecast said: “The estimated loss across the three lines would be 2,200 units per day.”Tractor company John Deere said it was suspending production in Tianjin indefinitely after some if its staff were injured and buildings damaged in the blast. Renault, which lost 1,500 cars, said its China deliveries this month and next would fall, while Volkswagen admitted 2,700 of its cars were damaged.Analysts at IHS Automotive said Tianjin is one of the biggest automobile shipping ports in China and is widely used to ship vehicles within the country, especially northern parts. The port is also used for exports and imports, accounting for about 40% of China’s imported cars, the largest share of any port in the country, and vehicle imports in China are expected to be affected.“The blast might impact 30,000−60,000 imports of 1 million total car imports for this year,” said Lin Huaibin, manager, IHS Automotive China light-vehicle sales forecast, adding that it is likely to take a couple of months before the port returns to normal operations.The electronics supply chain is also expected to be affected. According to Electronics News, many of the chemicals in the explosion are used for electronics production, while the port was also storing components. The price of industrial materials is likely to rise, it reported.Meanwhile, box manufacturer Singamas Container Holdings has announced that two of its depots were in close proximity to the explosions which wreaked havoc in Tianjin last week.The world’s second largest container manufacturer said that its depot owned by Singamas Logistics (Tianjin) Co. (SLTC), a wholly owned subsidiary of the company, is just 800m from the blast. A second SLTC depot also close to the location of the incident is also said to be damaged.In an announcement to the Hong Kong stock exchange, Singamas said: “The Group’s factory in Tianjin is unaffected by the incident. As of the date of this announcement, due to restricted access into the area for safety reasons, the Group is not yet able to estimate SLTC’s exact losses resulting from the incident.”The announcement also disclosed that SLTC have not been able to contact one of its employees, with his condition and whereabouts still unknown.Meanwhile, a local source told The Loadstar that although operations are continuing at Tianjin’s container terminals, there are certain restrictions and limitations to cargo flows.“The terminal facilities themselves are intact, and terminal yards are also running well. Some off dock yards are out of use.“But for foreign trade cargo, the access roads are blocked. So the terminals can receive vessels, but can only load cargo which is on the yard already. For domestic cargo, there are other access roads, so it’s not affected.”Containerised dangerous goods imports are not allowed to be unloaded at the port’s terminals.Dubai-based global terminal operator DP World confirmed that its facility Tianjin Orient Container Terminal (TOCT) was unaffected by the disaster and operations are continuing as normal. The terminal is located 15km from the site of the warehouse explosions.PSA International said operations at its joint venture facilities – namely Tianjin Port Alliance International Container Terminal (TACT) and Tianjin Port Pacific International Container Terminal (TPCT) – were also unaffected.Despite port operations continuing, container supply chains are expected to be affected by loss and damaged cargo, road access problems and possible berthing delays.Regional Container Line’s Tianjin office said most roads to the port remain under control, “especially to the north area of the port, since the blasts site and nearby are still totally forbidden for people to get in, except investigation team. The terminal entry for laden containers is suffering badly from this control”.According to data from VesselValue.com, there were 71 ships at anchor outside Tianjin port as of Friday morning, with a further 38 moored. Meanwhile data compiled by Bloomberg shows there were 68 bulk carriers, 26 dry cargo and passenger ships and 11 tankers anchored outside the port as of 8:15 a.m. local time this morning.One major 3PL said that “many forwarders have formed task forces to look into various implications on their current and future shipments and to explore various contingency measures. It’s uncertain how long the situation will take to return to normal.”Shipping law specialists Holman Fenwick Willan (HFW) said thousands of containers have likely been affected by the blasts and subsequent fires. In a published report on its website, HFW said much of the container equipment will be insured on a property basis, and many with London-based insurer the TT Club. The containers will be owned by a large number of shipping lines and leasing companies and will be rendered total losses.The death toll from the explosions has now reached 112, with some 90 people said to still be missing.last_img read more

Vermont Telecommunications Authority funding $3.6 million in grants for rural broadband

first_imgThe Vermont Telecommunications Authority has announced a Notice of Grant Funds in the sum of $3.6 million for broadband expansion in Vermont. The purpose of the grants is to extend broadband service availability where it is currently not offered and where no provider has already committed to bring broadband by the end of 2013.  Funding for the grants was appropriated by the Legislature in the FY2012-2013 Capital Budget. Awarded projects will be required to provide service with a combined upload and download speed of at least 5 megabits per second. Grants will be available to providers who expand broadband service in Target Communities. Eligible Target Communities for this grant round will be designated shortly by the Agency of Administration.  The list of Target Communities is being compiled using data that was collected from providers through Vermont’s Broadband Mapping Initiative. Additional input from providers, who have committed to expand service areas by year-end 2013, completed the picture of which communities will be served in Vermont. The remaining unserved communities will be identified as Target Communities. In the past, the high cost to bring broadband to the state’s last rural pockets has been a disincentive to providers. This round of VTA grants provides substantial incentives that reduce providers’ capital outlays and strengthen the business case to reach last mile homes. VTA Executive Director, Christopher Campbell says of the Notice of Grant Funding, ‘Vermont is closing in on its goal of universal availability of broadband service.  These grant funds will target the remaining unserved homes and businesses in the state that are not already included in a funded project.’  The Notice is available on the VTA website. All proposals are due to the VTA by 4:30 pm April, 17, 2012. Projects are to be completed on or before December 31, 2013. Montpelier, Vermont (March 14, 2012) –  www.TelecomVT.org(link is external)last_img read more

Vermont ski areas post 4.5 million visits, third best on record

first_imgVermont Business Magazine At the Vermont Ski Areas Association annual meeting at Killington Resort, the state’s resorts celebrated another stellar season with 4,503,269 skier & rider visits, nearly identical to last year’s near-record numbers. The 2013-14 season tally once again ranks Vermont number one in the East and number three in the country, according to preliminary figures from the National Ski Areas Association. The record early start and strong finish to the season were welcome boosts to Vermont’s coffers as well, with November business netting a 13 percent increase in the rooms & meals tax revenue over last year while March posted an 8.5 percent gain. Overall, the winter season generated a 6 percent increase in the rooms & meals tax revenues while matching last year’s strong sales tax revenues, once again highlighting the ski and snowboard industry as a cornerstone of the Vermont economy.“This season was most notable for its record early start and incredibly strong finish,” said VSAA president Parker Riehle. “We had an industry first with nine alpine and three Nordic areas opening a full week before Thanksgiving, owing to ideal snowmaking conditions and Vermont’s immense statewide snowmaking arsenal. After a challenging January, winter storms Electra, Hercules and Vulcan joined forces with an epic Valentine’s Day blizzard to set the stage for another strong season that marks our third-best on record.”Last year, VSAA reported 4,513,041 skier and rider visits, which was the second-best season since VSAA began collecting resort data in 1992 (2000-2001
: 4,579,719 visits). The 10-year average is just under 4.2 million.At the annual gathering, with a record attendance of more than 300 industry members and marketing partners, Tourism Commissioner Megan Smith gave opening remarks and Christina Miranda from Redpoint Marketing PR, Inc. surprised and delighted attendees with her keynote presentation on creating brand evangelists. Retired Smugglers’ Notch president Bob Mulcahy was presented with the Industry Achievement Award and former longtime chairlift inspectors Al Barber and Joe Devenow received Friend of the Industry Awards. The Career Employee Awards were presented to three longtime ski area employees at Okemo Mountain Resort – Larry Abelman, Dan Boyer and Doug Devereux.VSAA also presented its season in review showcasing the industry’s presence at tradeshows, media events and the State House, as well as promotional initiatives that spurred significant increases in earned media, website visits, sales of 5th Grade Passports and participation in the Check In to Win program.Once again, Vermont resorts pulled down several state and national awards for marketing, workplace wellness and environmental excellence:Vermont Travel Industry ConferenceJay Peak Resort: Governor’s SMART Award for Creative Marketing in TourismSmugglers’ Notch Resort: Nancy Illemann Rock – Travel Person of the YearNational Ski Areas AssociationStratton Mountain Resort: Best Overall Safety Program AwardKillington Resort: National Safety Awareness Month Photo Contest WinnerKillington Resort: Conversion Cup FinalistJay Peak Resort: Marketing Award for Best Use of Old School MediaMount Snow Resort: Steve Slivinski, PhatCat Groomer Challenge WinnerVermont Business MagazineOkemo Mountain Resort: Best Places to Work in Vermont AwardVSAA Green Mountain Awards Killington Resort: Greenest Overall Resort in VermontMount Snow Resort: Most Improved Resort OverallStratton Mountain Resort: Most Improved Carbon FootprintMount Snow Resort: Most Improved Water ConsumptionStowe Mountain Resort: Most Improved Waste ReductionSki Vermont (Vermont Ski Areas Association)(link is external) is a proud ambassador of the thriving winter tourism industry in Vermont, where the legislature has designated skiing and snowboarding as the official state sports. Vermont is not only the #1 ski state in the east and third in the US, but also reigns supreme in snowmaking quality and coverage, variety of terrain and historical impact on the sports of skiing and snowboarding – making it one of the most significant ski  and ride destinations in the world. Ski Vermont’s mission is to help create a legislative, economic and social environment in which the state’s ski areas can grow and prosper. It serves its 18 Alpine and 31 Nordic member resorts in three major areas: Governmental Affairs, Marketing and Public Affairs.Killington, VT (June 4, 2014) – Vermont Ski Areas Association. Photos: Sugarbush North jam-packed in February (Vermont Business Magazine photo). And pond skimming at Killington in April (Killington photo).last_img read more

Infographic: Dong Energy in the UK

first_imgDong Energy has invested GBP 5.5 billion into the UK since 2004, with over GBP 4 billion committed to offshore wind.The company released these figures in today’s “Dong Energy in the UK“ report.Dong built its first UK offshore wind farm in 2004. By now, wind turbines installed by the company could supply power to around 1.5 million households.While the offshore wind industry in the UK could create around 50,000 direct and indirect jobs by 2023, Dong already plans to expands its workforce of 200 employees in the North-West to over 300 by the next year.“Dong Energy’s vision is to lead this energy transformation. We want to supply energy that is green, independent and cost-effective, while ensuring that we are delivering the most value to our customers, the societies that we are part of and to our owners,” said Henrik Poulsen, CEO Dong Energy.To read the full report visit the following link.last_img read more

Slovácko wants to finish in the top half of the league…

first_imgSlovácko has modest goals before the start of the new league year. In Uherské Hradiště, they would consider it a success if the team finished in the top half of the 18-member table. Coach Martin Svědík and club director Petr Pojezný agreed on a video conference with journalists. According to him, the club is economically stable, to which the sale of goalkeeper Matouš Trmal to Portugal also contributed. In the spring, Slovácko attacked the elite league six until the last rounds, but in the end it played a group for Europe, in which it was not enough for Bohemians. “The first half of the table would suit us again,” said Pojezný. “We don’t want to get to the bottom waters of the table, the first half would be nice,” said Svědík.Due to the fact that Slovácko finished the last season as one of the first, the team had relatively enough time to rest and prepare. During it, as one of the few, he also focused on foreign camps. “The team worked a lot and honestly on her, avoiding injuries,” the Witness praised himself. But he also found negatives. “In the last matches we got a lot of goals that came from mistakes. But it’s better to get slapped now than in championship matches.”While the departures of Tomáš Zajíc and Jan Juroška to Baník were announced during the spring, the club surprised the sudden transfer of goalkeeper Trmal to Guimaraese. He received compensation in the form of 28-year-old Slovak goalkeeper Pavol Bajza, who has experience from four foreign leagues.Another important reinforcement is the striker Rigino Cicilia, who came from FC Eindhoven. “Typologically, he’s the player we missed. Most of all, he can score goals.” Svědík pointed out the advantages of a tall player from Curacao.Another offensive reinforcement is Miroslav Tomič, who came from Žilina, but is currently in disrepair. Jakub Rezek and Filip Kubala returned from guest appearances. “The staff is not closed yet, we will look at the extreme defenders and the classic ten,” outlined by Svědík.The club should not have financial worries. According to unofficial information, he received one million euros (26.1 million crowns) for Trmal. “The money for Trmal will help us heal the budget. Thanks to this income and local sponsors, the club’s funding will be stable,” said Pojezný.last_img read more

Mushtaq Ahmed to join coaching staff

first_imgLONDON, CMC – Former Pakistan leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed will have a month-long stint on the West Indies bowling staff, as the squad prepares for the upcoming Sri Lanka series. The 47-year-old will join the Caribbean side shortly on the short-term appointment which is expected to see him focus on developing the Windies spin assets.Cricket West Indies are yet to announce the appointment but Mushtaq said he was looking forward to the assignment.“It’s a privilege to work with West Indies cricket team. A team with a very rich history of class, commitment and sheer dominance in the cricket world,” said Mushtaq. “The talent from this part of the world has been exceptional and I am quite excited to work with them.”Media reports said there was a possibility the stint could be extendedMushtaq spent six years as a spin consultant with the England side, helping them win the Twenty20 World Cup and the Ashes series. He has also served as head coach of the Pakistan Cricket Academy, as well as serving in several coaching positions in the Pakistan Super League and the Indian Premier League.Mushtaq took 185 wickets in a 52-Test career, while picking up 161 scalps from 144 One-Day Internationals.West Indies face Sri Lanka in three Tests from June 6-27.last_img read more

Harm at their hands: when love fails

first_imgBy ANEEKA SIMONIS AN overwhelming majority of women subjected to violence in Cardinia Shire are in a relationship with their…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img